Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Zilch model 19 (z19) crossovers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member dbale's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2007
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Zilch model 19 (z19) crossovers

    So this is what a Z19 looks like?

    13

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Zilch model 19 (z19) crossovers

    Looks like somebody was still heavily prototyping in that pic. There are few if any permanent terminations.

    Zilch approached the Z19 with the idea that it would be fairly easily adaptable to a variety of crossover points and impedances as determined by the drivers and alignments chosen by the user/builder.

    Several who have implemented the Z19 in place of their factory model 19 networks in model 19's have ultimately preferred the stock 19 network. I started down the Z19 path once, but ended up selling/trading most of my components to somebody else more enthusiastic about the venture. I'm an active filter guy at heart.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member dbale's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2007
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Zilch model 19 (z19) crossovers

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Looks like somebody was still heavily prototyping in that pic. There are few if any permanent terminations..
    You would think so.
    Sell states ." They have sounded so good I have not altered them in over a year of intermittent use"

    Altec Valencia Speakers GPA Drivers Pristine 416 8A Woofers Z19 Xovers | eBay

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Zilch model 19 (z19) crossovers

    Seller is a member at Audio Karma (one of the many forums that Zilch used to frequent). I remember Zilch's threads at L.H. (and elsewhere) regarding upgrading Valencias to make them more like model 19's. This seller followed Zilch's advice--replaced the Valencia's 806 drivers with GPA 902-8a and replaced the Valencia crossovers with Z 19 crossovers. Seller even followed Zilch's recommendation of adjusting the port size to lower the cabinet tuning. If they were closer to me I'd love to drive over to the seller's house and hear what they sound like. Being a former Valencia owner (and former Heathkit AS 101 owner), and a current Model 19 owner, I feel I'd have a good frame of reference to "judge" how successful this upgrade was. I seriously considered attempting this upgrade on my Valencias, but in the end decided to sell them and buy Model 19's instead.
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Zilch model 19 (z19) crossovers

    I bet they sound excellent. Would also be fine with the stock M19 Xovers.
    Alligator clips semi permanently installed. Who needs 2% silver solder when you have those!

    Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member dbale's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2007
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Zilch model 19 (z19) crossovers

    Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    Seller even followed Zilch's recommendation of adjusting the port size to lower the cabinet tuning.
    I maybe missing something but I see no ports.I don't equate totally blocking off horn opening to port tuning.

    Looking at his other "improvements" I have to think seller was not aware of original ports.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.